Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Time for Everything

There is a saying there is a first time for everything, well yesterday we experienced our first set-back...something we definitely could have lived without. Jayden has been doing amazing, eating half her feeds by bottle, gaining weight (as of yesterday she was a full 3 lbs. 14 oz.!), maintaining her temperature...but yesterday she just didn't want to eat, she only wanted to sleep (weird I am kind of feeling the same these days). And of course it happened to be the day I didn't get to the hospital until almost 3 because our home security company came out at 9 am today to fix our system and didn't finish until 2:30! So frustrating! So the nurse gave me her updates when I walked in the NICU and she told me the doctor ordered her feeds to be reduced to one bottle per shift (only two bottles per day!)....I couldn't believe it...the nurse yesterday said she was going to recommend increasing her feeds to three per shift! How could we be going backwards? I was so confused. At this point I have no idea when she could be coming home and it's more frustrating than ever.

Today was a little better...I got to the hospital first thing in the morning and she was wide awake looking for me! And today she is officially over 4 pounds!! A full 4 pounds 1 ounce!! I'm so proud of her! And of course when I fed her today she ate like a champ! She sucked down her bottle in about 20 minutes and looked like she was still hungry! I can't wait to see how she does tonight and tomorrow! Today she also had her eye exam (poor baby!)...I didn't watch as I was informed by my step sis (who is a NICU nurse in AZ) that it's not something I want to see. The doctor puts a clamp on her eye, which I guess looks like an eyelash curler, and examines her eyes to make sure they are developing properly. Of course she let out a cry during the exam, but as soon as the doctor was done she stopped crying. Luckily her eyes are looking great and the doctor said her development looks awesome for her gestational age! That made me feel a million times better since we didn't have such a great day yesterday.

At this point we are just taking it one day at a time and going at her pace.



No comments:

Post a Comment