Monday, March 23, 2015

Welcome Sophia and Savannah

Our angels from heaven have arrived! Jonathan and I welcomed Sophia and Savannah super early Sunday morning! 

Saturday evening around 8:00 I could feel my contractions kicking in ~ and it was right around the time I was due for another procardia to mask the pain and slow down the contractions. Two hours after taking my medicine and having heavy contractions every 5 minutes I decided it was finally time to call the doc. He told me I could take another pill, but he would rather me go in to labor and delivery to be examined and see if I started dilating. So Jonathan and I were off to the hospital! I thought we were going to be put on more medication and sent home AGAIN, but this time was different! :)

When they hooked me up to the monitor, my contractions were then 2-3 minutes apart and only getting stronger! I was only 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced so the doc ordered a shot to try and slow down the contractions and stop my preterm labor (again). The meds helped for about 10 minutes, but the contractions slowly started creeping back in and after 30 minutes were the strongest I ever felt! The nurse called my doc an hour after giving me the shot and he decided we were delivering at 2:00 in the morning!! WAHOOOO!! These girls were not only making an appearance, but were coming on my little sister's birthday! What an amazing surprise!!!


They started prepping me for the c-section and we were off to the operating room around 2:30!


The c-section officially started at 3:02 and I still can't believe how quickly the girls came out! 
First came Sophia at 3:08 and second came Savannah at 3:11! Talk about quick! And right after they wrapped up the girls, they brought them straight to me so I could see them!



As soon as the girls were ready, Jonathan went with them to the recovery room while I finished up on the operating table. He was there for their first weigh in and checking all their vitals. It was so special! 

I thoroughly enjoyed (as much as you can enjoy) this c-section and had such an amazing experience! The doctors were truly WONDERFUL and talked to me the entire time giving me updates about everything that was going on. 

After they finished up, I was off to recovery where we immediately started skin-to-skin and Jonathan and I held our sweet girls! 



Sophia Grace Erickson
3:08 am
5 lbs 13 oz
17 3/4 inches


Savannah Renee Erickson
3:11 am
6 lbs 5 oz
18 inches


We spent the next few hours in there until about 7:00 am when they moved us to our postpartum room…but not before we got to push the lullaby button twice signaling our babies were born! 


<3


It has been such an amazing few days and these girls are truly a blessing! Even though they had a hard time maintaining their body temps for a few hours, after being under the warmers, they were right back up there and have been able to sustain their temps all afternoon yesterday and all day today.
Plus, they are already tandem nursing!! What champs! And little Sophia, she is a little piggy…she will nurse for about an hour and CHUG a bottle. Yesterday she was eating about an extra 10 cc's and today she was up to 20-30 cc's! Savannah takes a little longer to eat, but she is right up there with her sissy! 




Even though Jonathan and I are living off of 5-6 hours of interrupted sleep in the past 3 days, we are LOVING every second of this exciting adventure! 
Plus, we get to share the girls with all our family who come to see us every day! I love seeing our family love on our babes!!






(Sorry Auntie B, Uncle Al and Papa Mark for not getting pics…we'll update with pics next time!)

But of all the visitors we've had, one in particular was BY FAR my favorite! 
Our sweet Jayden came to meet her sisters today and it was so much fun! She came in and before she even said hi to me or Jonathan, she shouts "BABY!"


She literally could not get enough! She was so excited to see the babies! 


At one point, the nurses came in to get Sophia to take her for blood work. As they wheeled her out, Jayden started crying "baby! my baby!" 
What a protective and loving sister <3



And of course she gave mama lots of love! 



I always thought Jayden would be an awesome big sis…but this is unreal! 
I love that she loves giving her baby sisters kisses! 


Our first (of many) family pics! 


Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this! We are beyond thrilled for the girls to be here and so excited to start this next exciting chapter of our lives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment